Wednesday, November 7, 2007

I give Public Schools a F!!!!!

Yes I give the public school system of american an F for failing to teach my generation to use their BRAIN. Let me give you a little background of where this rant is coming from. I am in TAI 170 which is a freshman level speech/theater class. yes i am a junior but I put it off to the last possible moment. These kids...wait I don't want to say kids..peers don't know a god damn thing. Things that should have been learned in middle school. For an example syntax or metaphor or smilies(i think that was 5th grade). Nobody knew what these things were I just sat back in shocked at the low literacy of all of my peers. I am not trying to sound naracassitic but honestly people read a book. Another thing that bothers me when my peers didn't know authors or styles of writing that are commen to every other educated person in the world. Sylvia Plath, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Charles Dickens, and some didn't even know Shakspeare. Well that folks is just a tragedy.
I'm not blaming them i am blaming the teachers in highschool for not teaching them these things. Or teaching it in a poor way so it didn't stick in their brains. Maybe I was blessed with a great education or maybe it was because my mom is a teacher or Maybe it's just because I listen in class. I don't know but come on America lets get people learning because aren't we supposed to know the basics BEFORE we come to college. College is like an extended learning, so we can broaden our minds to new and greater things. Maybe learning syntax and metaphores are new and great to some people. If that is the case that is really sad. The problem of pointless classes is getting better the more higher level classes i take, which is to be expected.
Back to the real problem of our pre college education. I think it all started...oh my god yes I am thinking. I think it all started with the concept of standardize testing. The bane of my exsitence. I am not a great standardize test taker AT ALL. To sit and regurtitate facts for a fuckin computer is pointless to me. Why is my intelligence measured by a set of questions that is not about anything but taking a test. Who the fuck thought that was a good idea? This is more apparent in History where the teacher only teaches what is going to be on the test and nothing else. Well yes JFK was assainated on Nov 22, 1963 by who they thought was lone gunman or thats what the teachers told us. That was it, thats all we got. No questions, nothing later it was to be used in ABCD or E answer. Now THAT is streching the mind.
I am just asking to cut the No child left behind act BULL SHIT and starting teaching.

No comments: