Wednesday, November 28, 2007

My Happy Place

That makes me sound like a crazy person but seriously this is one of my favorite places on earth. I have been a lot of places. Maybe it is because of the happy memories this place holds or just the beauty of it but I love it.

This is 12-mile beach campground it is located about twelve miles from Grand Marais, MI down a dirt road. These were probably some of the happiest times in my life. Camping was a real staple in my family, we did it all my life. In the summer this is where we went. I feel like I'm this old grandma looking back on her memories. No I'm just telling ya whats up. I also feel if I don't stop to see the good in life I'll be consumed by the bad. So here is my good.





These pictures are from a few years ago. Not the golden age of twelve mile but once I get those pictures out of storage I will scan them in. Below this is something my brother, me and all are other friends we met up there used to do. Cliff Jumping. To get to the beach you have to go down a dune. Instead of going gracefully down we leaped over trees and stumps on to the sand below. Looking back we probably good have broken body parts but we didnt' care.







Another thing we used to do was play sand football...this was serious business we would keep score and make out plays. We would play for hours and when we got hot we would jump in Lake Superior. It wasn't just my brother and I we met a couple other families up there and year after we would go back and see each other. We met actually over horrible circumstances, somebody drowned and all of our families went to save this guy. Well the guy didn't make it but all of us have a life long friendship. I learned to play the guitar around the campfire the first song I learned was Small Town Saturday Night by Hal Katchem. It's a corny song but it was fun. We inserted different words to say 12 mile on a saturday night. Probably about every night we would sing that and Wayne would play his guitar and harmonica. Oh glorious days. Anyways I'll talk later about fun times at twelve mile when I get more pictures.

No comments: